Name: Dong Kyun Ryu
Age: 27
Location: Los Angeles, California
Website: http://dongkyuni.blogspot.com
Email: dongkyun012@gmail.com
Bio:
Dong Ryu, as known as dONgkYuNi, is currently a 3D modeling and texturing student at the Gnomon School of Visual Effects. He received his BFA in Illustration/Entertainment Arts from the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena.  He has been teaching elementary to college students at the Vision21 Art & Design. He also worked on several storyboards for independent movies and commercials in Hollywood and South Korea such as American Express, Direct TV, Samsung and Ssangyong.

1. Tell us about your background?
I was born in South Korea, and came to Los Angeles, CA, at the age of 10.  I liked to draw characters from manga with long spiky hair and huge shiny eyes, haha. I always looked for something that was new and fresh so I got into Marvels and DC comics around high school years. I made my college portfolio towards Illustration major because I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do. My style became more realistic as I drew more and more from life. After my freshman year at the Art Center, I decided to join the army in Korea just because I was a Korean citizen. I barely drew for two years. I came back to LA and switched the major to Art Center’s new Entertainment track. Graduated in 2009 and I wanted to study more towards live action films and games, so I am currently studying 3D.

2. What's your inspiration and motivation?
Inspiration comes from everywhere randomly.  It comes from dreams, movies, musics, arts, or even just by looking at an empty paper. I surfs the Internet just to look around paintings most of the times. Art of movies and games usually motivate me to draw.

3. What's your favorite quote or philosophy of art and design?
Die, if you don’t have any creativity – Welcomm Idea Factory

4. What do you think of the designers in Indonesia?
It is very embarrassing to say, but I didn’t know any Indonesia designers until I spent few hours to look them up. I realized that a lot of artists use bright colors and patterns. It was unique time for me to research and get to know more designers.

5. What is the message to newcomers?
Draw much as you can, don’t be afraid to learn, and learn what you can under your circumstances.

6. Can you tell us about your work behind the scenes?
(Optinal: photo step by step one of your works)
File attached = )

7. What do you think of the designers in your country?
They are great, but I’m sure there are great artists all over the world. Korea is a small country to keep many talented people. Designers should branch out to the other countries.

8. Criticism and suggestions for VISUALGRIP magazine?
Thanks for giving me this great opportunity to introduce myself. Visualgrip should invite more artists from different places and expose more unknown artists to people like myself. Thank you!