Name: Mike Iverson
Age: 45
Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Website: www.blindsquirrelprops.com
email: mike@blindsquirrelprops.com
Tell us about your background?
I am a Graphic Designer by trade and spent some years drawing comics (Vigil, Collective) but I've always like building things. I came to prop building only five years ago after finding templates and a tutorial for making a Star Wars Stormtrooper Blaster Rifle.
Since then, I started building items for my massive collection and more recently taking commissioned builds for the cosplay community.
What's your inspiration and motivation?
The commissioned jobs allow me to explore new techniques and materials while the personal projects allow me to fill out my collection with items that are too expensive, rare or unproduced. Since my tastes seem to run to the obscure, they are usually things you can't get anywhere else!
What's your favorite quote or philosophy of art and design?
I live by Anthony Hopkins line in "The Edge"…"What one man can do, any can do!". I think too many people are too intimidated to try a new technique or material. So what if it doesn't work out the first time? Do it again!
What do you think of the designers in Indonesia?
I don't have any first-hand knowledge of the work being done there but I'm constantly amazed at the work I see on the internet from all over the world!
What is the message to newcomers?
It doesn't hurt to try and if you don't know something, it doesn't hurt to ask!
Can you tell us about your work behind the scenes?
Most people assume that I have access to a large shop but I actually just work on my back porch. Phoenix weather is merciful for most of the year with only a couple of weeks of cold weather and a few months of brutally hot weather to content with. I consistently work 16 hours a week on props…the day job, freelance design and sleep take care of the rest.
I have a small amount of bench tools that I've slowly collected but I use a Dremel and simple hand tools for most of my work.
______________________
STEP-BY-STEP

(01.jpg) I was commissioned to make a replica of the Roto's sword and scabbard from the game Dragon Quest.

(02.jpg) For the blade, I glued together two sheets 1/4" Poplar with a channel cut to contain a 5/16" steel rod. The handle with the steel rod will ship to the client unattached to the blade to help shipping costs.

(03.jpg) After cutting the profile, I shaped the blade edges on the belt sander. Further cleanup is done with hand planes, Dremel sanders and files.
(04.jpg) The grip was shaped on a lathe from basswood. I drilled a hole through the center to house the steel rod.
(05.jpg) The center rune strips were cut from thick styrene. I found Norse runes that closely matched the reference and carved them into the plastic.
(06.jpg) For the pommel, I lathed a yoyo shape from basswood and then drilled out the base.
(07.jpg) I glued three pieces of MDF to form the guard, leaving a channel for the blade. It was rounded on the router table.
(08.jpg) I used a series of files to carve grooves into the curve of the guard.
(09.jpg) I glued the guard on to the blade and puttied up the seams. I also inserted screws to give the guard extra strength.
(10.jpg) The "bird" shapes for the guard were cut from thick styrene.
(11.jpg) Once the styrene was glued down, I used a heat gun to form the "feathers" around the curve.
(12.jpg) The scabbard is to be carried across the back so I got a D-ring as an attachment. I cut an aluminum strip and pounded it around a nail to form the loop. I added the D-ring and riveted it to the MDF of the scabbard.
(13.jpg) I made a scabbard box from 1/4" MDf and reinforced it with MDF in the inside corners.
(14.jpg) I rounded the edges of the scabbard with a router. I cut the opening to match the guard of the sword.
(15.jpg) I glued black felt into the inside of the scabbard to protect the blade.
(16.jpg) I heat formed thick styrene plastic over the tip to form the end cap.
(17.jpg) Once the imperfections were smoothed out, I cut the decorative slots with a band saw.
(18.jpg) For the scabbard collar, I heat formed more plastic around the opening. The blue tape is protecting the felt interior from dust.
(19.jpg) I painted the blade and top coated it with Future acrylic floor coating to protect the finish.
(20.jpg) The scabbard and all the "hardware" was also painted. The red applied smoothly...any imperfections you see are from my dusty fingers. It wiped off before top coating.
(21.jpg) Once the collar was glued on, I cut the slot for the guard for a proper fit.
(22.jpg) I glued the leather to the scabbard and used upholstery tacks to simulate rivets. I trimmed the nail so that it only went 1/8" into the scabbard surface.
(23.jpg) The final sword. I cast clear resin gens for the pommel and guard.
(24.jpg) The sword in the scabbard.
______________________
7. What do you think of the designers in your country?
I am inspired and envious every day when I see all the great work being done out there!
8. Criticism and suggestions for VISUALGRIP magazine?
As an English speaker, I'd like more of the text in the magazine translated..The featured art looks great and I'd like to be able to read about the artists.





















Отправить комментарий